Thursday, March 12, 2009

Mimosa, with Samosa, Vani (Part-7)

That there is a pink slip party in my company after the company stock price rivaled a Cheeseburger, and fears of becoming another Lehmann started becoming real. I wanted to be at office on my day off, but I tried hard to be not disturbed by the thought. Besides we were ready to face it, financially. In this economy, even if it happens to me, it will not be taken as a rejection of my skills.

Whatever! I picked up the phone and called a know-all at work. It was confirmed. Me, and my team were one of the several teams that were let go because of the company was supposedly taking drastic measures to save money, and all of us were promised three months worth severance. But that would happen Friday, not today. If I wanted, I could take my sick time off since I hadn’t used it at all. Such is life! There were times when I was really sick, and needed a little rest, but anyway went to work because I would be doing it the day after if I skipped one day.

It’s like the doctor telling a patient that his days are numbered. I will be losing my job, in three days. Come Monday, I will have Monday morning blues. Blues for not having a place to drag my feet to. Blues for losing the structure in my life. Blues for not getting a paycheck. Should I tell Shekhar and Ruchi now? I get up, shower, and let the salty warm water from my tears mix with the hot water and flow through. I don’t have to be sad for letting go from a job that I hated every minute for the past ten months, but I am sad. For being rejected.

I get dressed, and hear Shekhar and Ruchi giggle. Like a bunch of teenagers.

“What’s happening?”
“Just Daddy-Ruchi time”
“Why did you guys stop?”
“Because you came and it isn’t daddy-Ruchi time anymore”
“Why not?”
“It’s family pillow fight time!”

And then I was hit with pillows all over. Somehow it felt like being laid off. The action didn’t hurt, but the sentiment did. Of hitting. I decide not to spoil their mood and tell them to get ready and get going. We can have a family outing, and enjoy.

I was in the kitchen, fixing up breakfast, and Shekhar came to me. Ruchi was in the shower. I could hear her sing “Last time I freaked out” and jump around in the tub.

“Hey, why are you so sad?”
“Do I look sad?”
“Yeah”
“Then maybe I am sad”
“That’s why, my question, why are you so sad?”
“Yes, I am sad”
“Once again, why are you sad?”
“Because I am losing my job”
“That’s it?”
“Yes. I will bring no pay check come next week”
“So, what does the package look like?”
“I don’t know”
“File for unemployment immediately. Don’t forget”
“You are not going to say any words of sympathy?”
“Why should I? I know you were waiting for this moment”
“Was I? Funny that I don’t remember”
“I do. Remember what you said when we were watching Lehmann employees walk out with boxes of stuff after the Feds took over?”
“I said why didn’t they take over my company too, and let us out like this. That was a joke. A bad joke”
“Dreams come true, my princess, there is a good fairy on your shoulders always, making all your wishes come true”
“Yes my prince, I do believe you. If not for her, I would be in a dungeon. She summoned you to save me”
“And I did. I am your knight in shining Armani.. Driving my Audi in the darkest of the nights to save you.. From the evil clutches of spinsterhood”
“Yeah, Robin hood, have your protein drink”
“When is the last day?”
“Friday”
“You want me to come and pick you up?”
“I have no Audi Sire, but I am capable of sliding my Merc out of that garage, one last time”
“Good luck. Keep your phone on, and pick it up when I call. Don’t sit crying somewhere”
“Why would I cry? I am happy that I have my freedom at last”
“Write. Read. Enjoy life with Ruchi”
“And you”
“I am always with you”
“Near, yet so far”
“You are reading too much chicklit”
“They are a good transition after too much of Princess Diaries”
“Love you”
“Me too”
“Listen.. Ruchi told me this morning”
“What?”
“About her physical change. I didn’t have to ask”
“Kidding me?”
“No, she explained the whole thing to me”
“Wow. I don’t believe you”
“Your wish. But I am telling you..”

This girl surprise me! She had no qualms telling her dad, but did so much drama with me! I am sure, if she ever has a boyfriend, Shekhar will know before me! I pour the shake into glasses, while I think what will become of my life, come Monday. Will I end up being a desperate housewife for attention? Will I be able to put this failure of sorts behind me and start life anew? Only time will tell. I forgot all about the lengthy email in all this ruckus. I slip to the bathroom, with my phone to read the email. Something makes me uncomfortable to read it in the living room. I might smile, my eyes might shine if there is something good written about me. I didn't want Shekhar to notice that twinkle in my eyes for a stranger, and his words.